These meatballs are amazingly flavorful, tender and juicy, perfectly smothered in yummy gravy! This recipe uses coconut oil for sautéing, hence adding a generous amount of healthy saturated fats into the meatballs. Gravy is made with delicious chicken broth: I use homemade chicken broth, but store-bought broth, such as the Pacific brand, is also great! Chicken broth is super healthy, great for gut health and boosts the immune system. Also, I use gluten free breadcrumbs and flour in this recipe, but you can easily substitute for regular.
Better yet, these are kid-approved! At least by my kids, I mean if they ask for seconds, that’s definitely kid–approved, right? I love to make the meatballs bite-sized so they’re just perfect for little kids.
These are perfect for lunch or dinner and best served with mashed potatoes. I make these quite often because kids love them and will actually eat all that’s on their plate, so I’m sure these will win your family over too!
Serves 6 *This post contains one Amazon Affiliate link.
Ingredients for meatballs:
1 lb ground chicken
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs, or regular
¼ cup milk, warm
½ tsp Himalayan salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
Ingredients for gravy:
4 tbsp unsalted butter
¼ cup gluten free flour, or regular
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp Mr. Dash salt-free seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp dill, chopped
1 tsp + 1 tbsp coconut oil, preferable refined without aroma
- Melt 1 tsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and sauté half a diced onion for about 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Stir frequently to prevent browning.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1 lb ground chicken and 1 lb ground beef, 2 eggs, cooked onion and 1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs soaked in ¼ warm milk. Season with 1/2 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp garlic powder, or to taste. Stir with a large spoon or clean hands until mixture is evenly combined. You can also use a standing mixer with a paddle attachment. Form your mixture into 1 inch meatballs.
3. Over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in the same skillet and add rolled meatballs in batches. Make sure not to overcrowd the meatballs or they’ll steam instead of brown. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes browning all sides. Add coconut oil as needed. Set aside on a plate.
4. Melt 4 tbsp unsalted butter in the same skillet. Add ¼ cup gluten free flour and whisk until slightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Add the broth, one cup at a time, whisking constantly.
5. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Once thickened, slowly stir in 1 cup sour cream with a whisk. Season the gravy with salt and pepper, to taste, ¼ tsp Mr. Dash and 1 tbsp chopped dill.
6. Gently add the meatballs into the gravy. Cook until heated through, about 6-8 minutes.
This time I served these meatballs over mashed potatoes and sautéed chopped zucchini using avocado oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Enjoy!